Aside from the general discomfort from eating a diet with too much acid like heartburn, too much acid in our bodies creates an environment that allows yeast, viruses, and parasites to thrive. The ideal body pH is 7.4, and the closer our bodies are to our ideal pH, the better we feel and the easier it is to maintain long-term health. Anything over 7 is considered alkaline; less than 7 is acidic.
Examples of acidic foods include red meat, sodas, coffee, fried foods, dairy, and alcohol. The opposite of acidic foods are alkaline ones, and eating an alkaline diet can help improve metabolism, energy levels, digestion, and overall health.
To keep your body in balance here are a few tips:
1. Eat green veggies! These are very alkalizing and should be incorporated into every meal of the day.
2. Drink water with lemon or lime, which are both alkalizing and help rid the body of toxins.
3. Exercise regularly to help sweat out toxins.
4. Eliminate or reduce red meat, fried foods, soda intake.
5. Drink low-acid coffee instead of regular. HealthWise Coffee has a pH of 6.18, whereas most other options are highly acidic at 5-5.5.