Good nutrition helps us to better cope with our emotions, thus better enabling us to manage stress, depression and anxiety. Additionally, good nutrition primes our body to be able to do work, including physical activity. With the proper fuel, our bodies become more efficient and healthful, thus making exercise more effective and possible.
- A healthy eating plan emphasizes: fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and lowfat or fat-free milk and milk products; lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts; is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium) and added sugars.
- Make your calories count. Choose nutrient-rich foods, rather than foods with low nutritional value. For instance, an apple is more nutrient rich than a high-sugar juice drink. Both are carbohydrate-rich foods, but an apple contains fiber and phytonutrients the juice drink would not. Or, if you are choosing bread, go for whole grain rather than refined white versions.
- Focus on variety. Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups to get the nutrients your body needs. Julie’s take: Choose different types of fruits and vegetables as much as you can. Additionally, focus on a mix of good proteins and nutritious grains. Good powerhouse foods include: salmon, quinoa, broccoli, yogurt, spinach, berries, oatmeal, natural poultry products and beans.
- Know your fats. Limit saturated and trans fats. Include appropriate amounts of unsaturated fats like those from plant foods (i.e. olive oil, canola oil, nuts) and those in fish and fortified soy foods (i.e. soymilk). Read food labels or meet with a dietitian to learn more.
- Physical activity for fitness and health: Set achievable and appropriate exercise goals in order to manage heart health, stress, weight, digestion and more.
- Special nutrient needs for older adults: vitamin D, calcium, fiber and potassium are especially important for older adults.
Refer to the “Healthy Coffee“ tab and read about HealthWise Coffees high Calcium and Potassium content. Did you know that HealthWise Coffee contains almost 6% of your Daily Fiber Requirement and over 4% of many vitamins like B1, B2 and B3? Amazing for a totally unadulterated coffee. Our coffee is grown in the richest soils in Columbia South America and we use only Colombian Supremo – the highest grade coffee available under License from the Juan Valdez Group – the Columbian Coffee Federation.